Monday, January 11, 2016

Easy "Sticky" Buns January 2016

Sticky Buns are always popular.  I was asked to make cinnamon buns for the kids and thought about sticky buns.  I went to multiple websites to see what was available for recipes.  Many of them were going to take hours and hours. Since I did not have life enough to spend that kind of time I made my own thing, at least partially.

For the cinnamon bun part of the sticky buns I used the Sixty Minute Cinnamon Roll recipe found on Grammie's Kitchen and Bedtime Stories.

For the sticky bun part, I used this:

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts

For the pan I used a non-stick spray to grease a 12-inch Wilton round 2-inch high cake pan.  Spread the melted butter in the bottom of the greased pan then sprinkle with the brown sugar and walnuts.

When the cinnamon buns are rolled up and ready for their final rise, carefully place them on the butter/brown sugar/walnuts and cover with a clean cloth to let them rise for 15-30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degress F.  Yes, let the oven heat at least 15 minutes, or as long as you let the buns rise.  You know your own oven.



Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, then check every 2-3 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and the spot where the buns grew together looks rather pale still.  My oven took about 25 minutes to cook but I checked them after 15 minutes then kept adding 3 minutes to the timer until I was happy with them.

Remove from oven and let sit 4-5 minutes then turn over onto a cooling rack set on a large rimmed baking sheet.  This is a little bit tricky...place the rack and the baking sheet upside down over the buns then flip them over carefully.  Let them cool completely if you can.  At the bare minimum, do not eat any until at least 15 minutes have gone by or you will burn your mouth with the hot butter and sugar.

First reports on these buns came in: "They are "heaven"!"  That is something I have NEVER heard before.  I will take it!

NOTE:  as far as I am concerned, these are not really "sticky" buns because the sweet goo on the bottom of the buns is not true sticky goo and does not stick to your teeth.  I believe this is because I did not use a recipe that included corn syrup in it. If you want to make these, and make them actually sticky, better go online and find a recipe with corn syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment